Thursday, July 28, 2016

Richard M. Grove: "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Toti"


This poem is dedicated to Wallace Stevens for his poem 
“Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird”
 
1
Among the many swaying palms                                       

The only living thing
Was the flutter of dozens of Toti

2
I was of one mind
Like a Royal Palm
In which there are thirty Toti

3
A flock of Toti whirled in the winter winds
A small part of the Cuban revolution

4
The sky and the Cuban flag
Are one.
The sky and the Cuban flag and a Toti
Are one.

5
I do not know which I long for most
The silent beauty of a clear Cuban sky
Or the cacophony of a Cuban orchestra,
Thirty Toti perched, chattering,
Or the fluttered painting of a black sky as they scatter.

6
Laundry filled the long lines
In sun-backed heat.                                                              

The shadow of Toti
Cross the wafting sheets
The joy of freedom.
Toti, shadow and laundry
An incomprehensible union.

7
O dear friends of Cuba
Can you imagine freedom
The way you see your Toti
Borderless
Flocking from tree to tree.

8
I listen and see the black flutterings
The inescapable chatter
And I know only too well
That the Toti is a measure
Of my existence.

9
And when the Toti fly out of my sight,
They are still part of my being,
My ever expanding circle.

10
At the sight of Toti
Flying in a Cuban blue morning
I cry out the ecstasy
That Cuba is in the air.

11
I bicycled hundreds of miles
Through emerald cane fields
Dripping with sweat.
Never in fear of being lost
Always with the chatter of my
Toti friends telling me I am home.

12
The outstretched arms of the mythic Ceibo tree
Are filled with the black cackles of Toti.

13
It was hot, a hot humid afternoon
There was hardly a breeze to ruffle
The frowns of the stately Royal Palms
A single, silent Toti sat,
In the outstretched limbs of the Bayam tree

Richard 'Tai' Grove 




ass't. ed's Frosty 
and Tama insist, 
"Richard's 'Toti' 
poem deserves 
a post of its own!" 

so it does
and, here it is.  Enjoy.



                   see you in a moment

                   ayaz daryl nielsen

                   darylayaz@gmail.com (and/or) darylayaz@me.com 

Post a Comment